What modifications can you make to your child support in Mississippi?

On Behalf of | Apr 3, 2021 | Child Custody |

If you live in Mississippi, you can request to make modifications to your child support as the parent of the child, whether you receive or provide the support. Fortunately, child custody orders aren’t set in stone and can change. The child support orders can be modified at any time if the parent’s circumstances have recently changed.

A formal request must be made by the child seeking the modification if they’ve had a change in their income, loss of employment, changes in medical insurance or coverage, a change in the child’s living arrangements, or the spouse paying the support has had additional children. One of the spouses may also request a change to the order if there’s a relocation planned.

How to get your child support modification requests approved

If you want to get your child support request modifications approved, you’ll need to contact the Child Support Enforcement Office in Mississippi. The parent must prove there has been a change in the circumstances, and the modifications to existing family law court orders must be submitted to the same court that put the child support order into effect. You’ll need to prove the modification is in the best interest of the child.

Who can you contact for legal assistance?

If you want to modify a current child custody order, contact a family law attorney who could help you navigate the process and avoid common mistakes along the way. The legal professional may be able to answer your questions and can gather the evidence you’ll need to present in court. They could also help you discover what options are available after reviewing the details of your case. You might also seek an attorney’s services for similar matters related to child visitation or modifications to existing divorce orders.