How does child support change after your child graduates?
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Child Custody
  4.  » How does child support change after your child graduates?

How does child support change after your child graduates?

On Behalf of | Jan 21, 2021 | Child Custody |

It’s a common misconception in Mississippi that child support ends after the child turns 18. In fact, you might have to continue paying child support well after your child reaches adulthood. It’s becoming increasingly common for non-custodial parents to pay for a portion of their child’s college tuition fees.

Do you need to keep paying support after high school graduation?

When two parents file for divorce, the non-custodial parent typically has to pay child support to ensure that the child can maintain the same standard of living. For some parents, child support payments end when the child turns 18. However, a judge might order that you still have to pay for your child’s education after they leave high school.

To continue receiving child support, the child must enroll in college and provide their parent with extensive information about their education expenses. In return, the parent helps them pay for college. In many cases, the child support ends once the child graduates with their first degree. In others, the parent is still expected to help pay for graduate school.

Every situation is different. If you’re not sure how long you’ll be paying for child support, consider talking to a family law attorney about the situation.

How may an attorney help you with child support issues?

Paying child support every month can be a huge strain on your finances. If you lose your job, you might not be able to keep up with your current payments. An attorney may be able to help you negotiate for a child support modification that fits your financial situation.

Additionally, an attorney could help you calculate the amount of child support that you’ll have to pay and give you an idea of what to expect. They could also guide you through the complicated issue of paying for your child’s education.