Can you change spousal support payments?
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Firm News
  4.  » Can you change spousal support payments?

Can you change spousal support payments?

On Behalf of | Feb 23, 2020 | Firm News |

When Mississippi residents divorce, the court decides on support payment amounts. But the court also understands that life circumstances are not stagnant. If you face great financial changes in your life, can you have your support payments changed? Today we will look at the answer to this question. 

In short, yes you can. There are certain circumstances under which requesting support modifications is okay. They involve changes to the financial situation of one or both parties. For example, a person paying support may request to lower this amount if: 

  • They lose their job or an employer demotes them 
  • They marry into another family and become the primary financial support 
  • Their ex-spouse marries into another family and gains another source of support 
  • Their ex-spouse comes into more money 

Likewise, there are reasons that the person receiving support may request an increase. Reasons for this include: 

  • The receiving parent losing their job 
  • The supporting parent gaining a raise, a new job or otherwise coming into money 
  • The cost of raising the child increasing as they age 

Situations differ from person to person. This is why you must submit a request to the court. They will review it and based on the information provided, decide whether to grant the request or not. 

Do you want to learn more about how to modify existing court orders? Do you have a particular interest in spousal support? You can take a look at our web page here. It will take you to our web page on court order modifications. There, you can learn more about changing things like spousal or child support.